“Died. The following well written obituary is taken from the Saturday Daily Guard:
On February 2, 1899 at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. A.Dyer, 175 Monroe Street, Albina, Oregon, Catherine Renfew died aged 82 years.
The lady came to Eugene with her husband Dr. A. Renfrew, about the year 1853. During they year of 1854 they conducted a restaurant in a building about where Attorney Woodcock’s law office is situated. In the spring of 1855 they erected the south wing of the old St. Charles Hotel on Ninth and Willamette street, where the Hoffman House now stands. They conducted the hotel until 1874. In 1873 they erected the W T Campbell brick and used it as part of the hotel. In 1874 the property was rented to Charles Baker, who managed it a year. In 1875 they again took charge of the property and conducted it until 1879.
About the year 1880 Dr. A Renfrew while prospecting on Gold Hill drank too much ice cold water while very warm and succumbed on the spot, and his lone grave is still pointed out in the Blue River mining district. Mrs. Renfrew in 1880 and 1881 operated a restaurant in the building now owned by W T Campbell. In stage days Mrs. Renfrew was one of the best known personages between Portland and San Francisco, and the old St Charles had a splendid reputation. The old lady moved to Portland in 1882 and conducting lodging houses in that city until about one year ago, since which time she had been living with her adopted daughter, Mrs. A. Dyer, whose maiden name was Miss Annie Wilson. Thus another of our pioneer women has gone to her reward.” Oregon State Journal (Eugene), Feb 11, 1899, pg 5, col. 3