Mr. John B. Ferguson, one of Lane county’s long respected pioneers, died at his home in Long Tom Precinct, Saturday, Sept 16  after a short illness. The following is taken from Monday’s Daily Guard.
This veritable pioneer of Lane county was born in Ricard County, Ohio, June 29, 1825, but when a year old he was taken to Adams county, Illinois by his parents, with whom he once more removed in 1842 to Andrew County, Missouri where he engaged in farming until 1847. He then crossed the plains to Oregon arriving in November and joining his brother in what is now Washington County, there passed the winter. In September 1848 he came to Lane County and took up the tract of land on which he resided at the time of his death, situated six miles from Junction City, and was the first man to drive a wagon up to the Long Tom creek. In 1849 Mr. Ferguson took a turn in the gold mines of California, working on Feather River during one summer, at the end of which he returned to his claim. In 1851 he once more tried his luck in the mines, this time at Yreka, but as a trader, returning to his home on Long Tom at the end of one summer, where he was the first to engage to any extent in farming. In 1862 Mr. Ferguson again tempted fortune at the gold mines. For two-year he followed mining in the John Day country and at the expiration of that term went into the stock business, he having a band of cattle in Eastern Oregon to attend which he crossed the mountains as many as fourteen times. In 1878 he was elected a County Commissioner and served two years. Mr. Ferguson owned six hundred and sixty acres, on which he resided, besides two quarter sections situated to the east of that property. It will thus be seen that by his energetic and upright life, this pioneer surrounded himself with a fine estate. He have been twice married. By his first wife there were seven children, viz; John S., James M.,(deceased), Sarah J., Joseph H., Mary Ann, Martha E. Thomas J., while by the second marriage there was one daughter named Josephine.
The funeral was held yesterday at his late home, the burial taking place under the ritual of the Masonic Order, of which he was an honored and respected member. ” Oregon State Journal (Eugene, OR), Sep 23, 1899, pg. 5, col. 3. University of Oregon Knight Library, Newspaper Collection.
Records indicate Mr. Ferguson is buried somewhere near the NW corner of Ferguson and Territorial Roads west of Junction City Oregon. In the article “Cemeteries Along the Old Trail” Lane County Historian Vol XII Nos 1 & 2 Spring/Summer 1967 – speaking of his burial site it states – “on the land he loved we find the first marker, that of John B Ferguson, surrounded by some of his children and grandchildren and five of his neighbors. The cemetery is no longer used”.