Pioneers of Lane Married 55 years
Event Celebrated at Walker February 1
“COTTAGE GROVE – Jan 28 – Mr. and Mrs. John F. Walker, early settlers of Oregon, will celebrate their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary February 1. Mr. Walker crossed the plains with a mule team in quest of gold, prospecting for three years in Nevada, California and Jackson county, Oregon, but not finding gold in paying quantities, decided to till the soil for his future vocation. Coming to this section, he took up a donation claim four miles east of here, where he lived 16 years, going from here to Walker Station, his present home. During the second year of his residence on his homestead he was married to Miss Jane Chrisman, the daughter of Campbell Chrisman, then the wealthiest man in Lane county. During the early part of 1853, while prospecting in southern Oregon, Mr. Walker was obliged to exist for six weeks on beef without bread on account of a heavy snowstorm. As soon as the roads were passable he went to Jacksonville, and to his dismay found that they were out of flour there. When the first pack train reached that place the people were on the verge of desperation for breadstuffs. The citizens and miners quickly purchased the packer’s stock flour at $ 1 per pound. The flour, however was closely guarded and equally distributed. After leaving Jacksonville, coming forth, he was unable to procure more flour until he met the Hugh Field’s pack train in the Umpqua valley and paid $1 per pound there, but the flour was so poor, being made of smutty wheat, it made him sick. From his donation claim he hauled his bacon by ox team to Portland, taking two weeks to make the trip, purchasing provisions and clothing enough to last the family one year, also purchasing his flour at Cloverdale. While living on his homestead, he went into fishing business with Halo Tish, Chief of the Calapooia Indian Tribe. They constructed a crude fish trap on Row river. Mr. Walker would take the catch one day and Halo Tish would take the next, but Halo Tish would take all the eels, which were a favorite food with his tribe. The Indians at the time were friendly and when Mr. Walker was too busy to go to the trap Halo Tish would take Mr. Walker’s share of fish to him. Walker Station was named after these old pioneers after the railroad was built through this section. Mr. and Mrs. Walker have five grown children living: Mrs. N.B. Walden, Minnesota; Mrs. Martha Wiseman, Weiser, Idaho; J.W. Walker, Waldport, Oregon; Ewing and George Walker at Walker, Oregon. Mr. Walker is quite wealthy. ” Eugene Morning Register, Jan 29, 1910, pg. 2.
Rootsweb cemetery records for Walker Cemetery have John F. Walker, born Jan 11, 1827 Bedford Co., VA and died Dec 24, 1915. Mrs. Walker, Mary Jane Chrisman born Feb 16, 1839, Andrews Co., MO and died Apr 21, 1910. See the Rootsweb page for more information on this Walker family.